Vintage Radio

Who remembers The CB radio craze , i was a kid but i lived the end of that era , the 90's , Cellphones were expensive, my oldest brother had a CB radio on his truck , i have one on my house , he was in the south , i still remember mi first contact with CB radio , i grew listening to marine Vhf radios, by the time i was 7 i wanted to talk but i wasnt able to do that on VHF , so my father gave me a CB radio , it was a realistic AM , it had 40 channels , shortly after that i found some locals that talked on the Channel 13 , it was Marcelo Kolibri and Cesar Razek, Marcelo had a Alan 87 cb with SSB , and Cesar a Uniden PC244 , they talked about Metal , they still have a band Called Ophanims , Marcelo influenced my music tastes a lot , i was 9 and i was starting lo listen Ozzy and Iron maiden , some nights in summer we used to comment the Viña del mar music festival , it was funny to hear the comments about artists on the radio , by the time i was 11 years old i was building my first quality made dipoles that were hung from a tree to the house , my father bought my in a trip to the north a Cobra 19DXII a nice and small radio, i met Don Luis Anacleto el Alacalufe , whom is still on CB , he knew a lot about electronics and antennas i still remember when i taked notes about everything that he tought me , by when i was 11 i was on 6th grade , i had a lot of contacts with stations from Peru and Brasil , some of my classmates couldnt believe it , so a day when they came to my house i showed them my radio room , that contained a Sony shortwave conected to a long wire , a President CB handheld that Marcelo sold me , the cobra CB and the realistic CB , a handheld radioshack scanner , A marine band VHF a power supply , a car battery , and a couple of car bulbs , those were nice times , i remember making skip contacts on AM on the morning before going to school , by the time i was 13 as propagation faded my interest in radio was halted a bit , i started dating , i got a girlfriend and i was short of time , by the time i was 14 i received a call from marcelo , he was again on radio , but he was on FRS radio , i picked the radioshack catalog and i ordered two 15 miles units with a charger and a base scanner , my brother brought them to Chile , the day they arrived , the first thing i made was to modify the FRS radio , i pick my soldering iron and i carrefully removed the original antenna in place of the antenna i put a BNC conector connected to a UHF groundplane antenna on the roof ,so i kept talking with marcelo on UHF , we even mounted a simplex repeater on UHF , it lasted a couple of months working, by that time i started to listen the local repeater 147.300 , i listened a ham that was called Eduardo XQ2BNZ , he was retired , most of his conversation were about technical subjects , then a day i listened that radioclub valparaiso was holding an event called pasando y pasando , i went i personally meet XQ2BNZ, we talked about radio , and he ended convincing me to take the test and became a ham , i did it i got my first license CD2895 by that time i had a group of fellow pirate friends the i managed to convice them to became hams , so we take the test together , and aproved it , i dont remember how exactly we started to talk on 146.120 on the nights , the original group of pirates was now talking and acting like hams ! , i mean techniclly inclined pirates , when we were pirates we were building directional antennas and making point to point FRS links , so we installed a new antenna on the house a Ringo antenna with 6db on VHF , i was able to talk around 50 miles around my house , then Don Eduardo convinced me that True hams are on HF bands , so i started to save to get a HF rig , i choose a TS-50 radio , small enough to fit in a briefcase , but sturdy , i bought it from CE3PPE , who brought it from santiago specially , we calibrated the SWR of my 40 meter dipole ,and i started to make contacts , the rest is history .............

1 comentarios:

Anónimo dijo...

Great аrticle.

my blog pοst - quick House sale