As survivalist you will need to reapair your own equipment , vehicles , generators , farm equipment , guns , etc , for that you will need four things , First of all Common sense , Spare parts , and your toolbox that contains all the things that you need to use to make a repair . Lets start talking about the toolbox perse , your toolbox must light , but strong enough to resist the wear an tear of everyday carry on your vehicle , plastic boxes are ok but with the time they will suffer the destruction of the lock and the handles , wood is also ok , especially if is made in the form of a transit case , but the better is a Surplus 50 cal Ammo Box , they are watertight , and moisture tight , are virtually indestructible , and are very cheap you can find them on stores for low as $10USD here in chile $5000Pesos ,you can place inside a piece of foam to avoid the metal to metal noise .
What tools do I need ?
For A Mechanic/Car/Generator toolbox you will need :
- A pair of pliers
- A set of screwdrivers (don't save on this items get the best ones you can afford)
- A monkey wrench
- A Allen and torx wrench set (this is specially important if you own newer vehicles)
- Adjustable hand wrenches at least two
- A set of fixed hand wrenches at least 20 of them of common SAE* sizes
- A Socket wrench set (52 pieces ones are the minimium )
- SAFETY GLASSES AND A PAIR OF WORK GLOVES AND LATEX ONES FOR OIL CHANGES (DUMP ENGINE OIL IS CHARGED WITH LEAD AND SMALL BITS OF METAL.
- A Ball pein Hammer
- WD-40 (Not recommended for Gunsmitting )
- A locking plier
- A Hemosthat ( Yep the medical one , useful for clamping fuel lines)
- A small flashlight
- A Spark plug Socket (Newer spark plugs are 17 mm but dont throw away the 21mm one )
- Plastic zip ties and a bit of wire
- Duct tape
Once you have bought your tools , take a fine brush and cover them with a thing layer of oil , this will keep the moisture away from them .